A week at the Hospital

Sorry the last time I tried to post this I made a mistake. I am at Mathew 25 and have internet so I will try it again.

January 30th 2017 A week at the hospital Monday morning at breakfast Bob and I discussed our plans for the day. It seemed we would have a quiet day to get caught up with things around the house. But within minutes we were told our friend Emmanuel (Mano is what we call him) was very sick. Mano lives here on the compound he is in his late seventies, at one time he was the school director. He is educated and likes to read. We have gotten several books for him, he spends most days sitting on the roof reading and listening to his radio. He also watches the activities in the village and has many visitors that he offers advice to. He is well loved and respected in the community. I went down to check on him and could see he needed to go to the hospital; he was confused and very weak. I thought correctly he had had another stroke. Bob and I loaded him up and one of the ladies who works for us took him to the hospital. The hospital here works very differently than in the US. You pay for each service or supply as you receive them. So you receive a paper from the nurse for the consultation and go to the cashier and pay. Then you get an order for labs and medication (which includes IV fluids, needle, IV line ect each item needed), you return to the cashier to pay for the items then go to the pharmacy or lab to get the items. The week in the hospital cost about sixty American dollars. I can see wisdom in the process, it is a hassle but on the other hand you don’t have to buy things that you don’t need or can buy elsewhere for cheaper. It took all day to get Mano’s blood pressure down. He continued to be confused and had problems standing. Bob and I stayed with him until evening, family members where contacted by Fr. Jadotte who happened to be at the hospital. The family came so we went back home. The next morning I returned to the hospital with several people from the village. We took turns sitting with him. Many people came to visit him it was wonderful to see how loved he is. All day I had several people wanting me to give them money; it gets really old “Blan Blan give me a dollar”. Two ladies even were hitting me (lightly) asking over and over again. Then they got a baby from somewhere and thought this would change my mind, but no I felt like they didn’t really need money from me. That evening I was sitting with the ladies who had come with me and a person I did not know started with the Blan Blan. One of the women with me said “her name is not Blan her name is Denise”. I was thrilled, she stuck up for me. Luckily this person did not want money she just wanted to tell me I had nice hair. Wednesday we had a meeting with Sr.Augustin , who is in charge of the five schools we support. The meeting was supposed to be in Atrell which is about half way to Kalabot. Geri a volunteer for the sisters who speaks excellent Creole went along to help us with translation. We waited at the school in Atrell for quite a while then the school director came and we talked with him. We discussed the changes to the school lunch program. He was thrilled and said he would go and talk with Sr. Augustin right away. He had assured us Sr. Augustin was not coming so we drove back to Gros Morne.We took Geri home and used there facility’s. Got back in the truck and started to leave as Sr. Augustin pulled up on a moto, so we were able to have our meeting after all. The meeting went very well. I had been at the hospital before going to Atrell so we left and went home after the meeting. Thursday Mano was released from the hospital. Bob and I had a APWOKAPRIM meeting at our center that morning, so Bob went to Gros Morne early to get sister Pat and to let the hospital know we wouldn’t be able to pick Mano up until late afternoon. The meeting started late but did seem productive. The problems of the weevil in the sweet potatoes and mites in the millet were discussed. The people also asked for help buying seed, and suggested a seed bank. Sr. Pat has tried having seed banks in the past but has not had success. The idea is the people receive seeds for free or very small sum, then when they harvest their crop they replace the seeds they were given. Sr. Pat found they did not return the seeds. So each year the seed bank had to buy new seeds. The Agronomist suggested a process were people form small groups and each contribute a small amount of money each month. Then when planting season came they could buy seeds with the money and give each person that contributed some of the seeds. He told the group that there are several of these groups in Gros Morne and they are working out well. The meeting ended with people getting a tour of the center. Bob, Sr. Pat and I left to go to Gros Morne , after dropping Pat off we went to get Mano from the hospital. He was still weak but seemed better. He was well welcomed here in the village. I have told everyone they need to get him up at least three or four times a day, have him stand and walk a little, have him sit up in his wheel chair. The people tell me he is to weak and he needs to just lie down. I try to explain getting him up will help him to get stronger, they think I’m crazy. So I pray for him. Friday we went to Port to pick up our friend Pevwa from the airport. There were a couple of demonstrations that we had to take detours around and caused us to get to Port just on time to get our friend. As we were getting to the Airport there is a big intersection. Traffic is always bad there, so this random guy starts to direct traffic, the problem was he didn’t have a clue. He had all directions of traffic move forward so there was a total deadlock. We had to laugh. We returned home on Saturday and finally got our day off on Sunday. May God bless you for your interest and prayers, Denise a mistake, so there was nothing posted. I am now where I can use the internet so I will try again.


  1. Cathy Randolph

    Sounds like you are being kept very busy. We began collecting items for our shoeboxes last week. Cathy Randolph, St. Andrew in Sparta

  2. R. Oliver

    Every care I have disappears when I read what you & Bob negotiate w/God in action to achieve for those around you. I will pray that Mano revains strength & that God blesses your wvery action.
    Love, Becky

Comments are closed.